I recently took a Letterpress class over at the Atlanta Printmakers Studio. I had never had an opportunity to do any letterpress work, and it was interesting to try out setting type. Let me say, that's incredibly tedious work! I have a much greater appreciation for those old books I cut up so often when making my mixed media work.
The much easier way, as I found out in the class, is to have a polymer plate made, and after setting a little type, I quickly concluded that it was the right way to go for my final project. We used Boxcar Press to make our plates, and we were all pleased with the results.
I could go into a long explanation of how to prepare files, etc., but I'll save that for another post. Basically, however, I set up a file for an 8.5"x 11" plate that would print 8 different business cards in 3 different sizes that could easily be cut apart. Then I had a second plate made that I used for printing the red line of text, which was printed overtop of the black.
I decided to print the cards mostly on chipboard, which I use for lots of other projects as well. On top of the chipboard, I collaged many of the sheets with scraps of paper, along with some white colored pencil and thinned white acrylic paint. While I didn't try to plan out where things would fall, I still got some very cool and unique results.
I laminated other papers onto the backs of some of the cards using 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive prior to cutting them out. Once all the cards were cut, I used a rubber stamp I had made at RubberStamps.net to add an additional email address on the back.
Both Boxcar Press and RubberStamps.net delivered great products with a fast turnaround, and because I own the plates, I don't have to reset the type every time I decide to print more.